Friday, June 3, 2011

Adult Literacy

I've been thinking about creating a service to support adult literacy programs. I will be getting a lot of my information from Put Reading First. To know the 5 components of reading is good for a teacher, but it is also important for the learner. Again those components are:

1. Phonemic Awareness
2. Phonics
3. Fluency
4. Vocabulary
5. Comprehension

All 5 components are vital behaviors that support good literacy skills. In addition to this it is important to know that confidence is also important...even through mistakes. Reading is a process and even some of the most skilled readers will eventually come across something that is just way above their heads.

So, I'll post more on this. I want to address each component as it relates to adult literacy - but this will come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment